Sunday, July 28, 2013

I can't excape bad grammar!

I hope that anyone reading this realizes that I made the error in the title on purpose!  I haven't seen excape in writing, but I hear it spoken frequently.  It is spelled, and pronounced, escape.  No x anywhere. 

Nowhere should one ever use no were unless referring to a were animal.  I would hope there are no weres.  This is not to be confused with we're, the contraction of we are.  I have seen people, particularly on Facebook, use no were instead of nowhere (one word, notice) or were in place of we're.  As I've said before, it's an apostrophe people! One little character which makes your writing so much clearer!

The criteria for good grammar are not always clear because many people, for whatever reason, are not aware of the unusual status of some words.  Take for example, criteria.  Not criterias. Why? Because it is already plural.  The singular form of criteria is criterion.  Another word like this is phenomenon.  The plural is not phenomenons, but phenomenaMedia is also frequently mistakenly pluralized. The singular is medium.  This is most frequently used when discussing different types of art media.  Which medium do you use?  When discussing newspapers and television news, I believe it is usually media.  The United States has various forms of media.

These are a few grammatical mistakes I've encountered in the last few months.  I've seen a meme going around Facebook that shows a screen that would require a person to put the correct form of a word into a sentence in order to access the internet.  What a great idea!  Maybe people would actually learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment